Science Expo 2/25/20

My topic is the hypsometer. A hypsometer is a measuring instrument that uses angles and trigonometry (the branch of mathematics with relations to angles and sides of triangles and relevant functions). The term hypsometer comes from the Greek meaning “altitude meter”. There are three types of hypsometers:  scale, pressure, and laser. These devices are mainly used in construction industries and by arborists to measure trees.  The hypsometer was invented in 1846 by a forester named Martin Faustmann. He made his hypsometer out of a wood base, three rulers, string, a washer, and a mirror.

I made my own hypsometer. What I used was a protractor, string, washer, straw, and tape and this is how it worked. It is basically a plumb line hanging from a protractor. You have to look through a straw that is mounted on top and look at the top of the object you’re trying to get the height of, then you have to mark where the plumb line falls on a piece of paper, that would be your angle/tangent.  If you were measuring a tree and you were ten feet away from the tree your adjacent would be ten. I used a trigonometry table to find my tangent. If your angle was thirty degrees then your tangent would be 0.577. I used a calculator and multiplied my adjacent (how far away you are from said object) by the tangent and that’s how the hypsometer works.

Is it more acturate to be farther away from the object and get the angel?

How actuate is a one you can buy?

does a half an angel affect the whole thing?